Finance & Benefits

Helping you find out which benefits you’re eligible for and supporting your application is what we do, so please contact us to discuss your situation and arrange an appointment.

DIAL South Worcestershire
54, Friary Walk,
Crowngate Centre,

You can reach us on 01905 27790 or email us at

See our Benefits Advice page for more information on what we can do to help.

The are numerous benefit payments available depending on your circumstances, and you’ll find some basic details and links to information on them all here. If this all seems overwhelming and confusing – don’t worry but please pick up the phone and get in touch with us.

If you’re in the North of the county you can get help and advice from DIAL North Worcestershire using the details below:

DIAL North Worcestershire

Telephone: 01562 60241



Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for disabled people aged 65 or over who need care because of an illness or disability.

Website: Allowance

To make a claim call: 0800 7310122

Claim online:

Top of page

Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Website: Allowance

To make a claim, call the Carer’s Allowance Unit: 0345 608 4321

Claim online:

Top of page

Cold Weather Payment

If you’re receiving certain benefits, you may be able to get a Cold Weather Payment for each period of very cold weather in your area. If you’re eligible you should receive this automatically with your relevant benefit payment.

Website: Weather Payment

Top of page

Council Tax Benefit

If you’re on a low, or no, income and need financial help to pay your Council Tax bill, you may be able to get Council Tax Benefit.

Website: Tax Benefit

Top of page

Direct Payments

Direct payments are local council payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social services, and who would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support services instead of receiving them directly from the local council.

A person must be able to give their consent to getting direct payments and manage them, even if they need daily help to do this.

If you’re in receipt of social care services then to apply for Direct Payments you need to talk to your Social Worker. If you’re applying for social care services for the first time then the Social Worker should discuss Direct Payments with you.

Website: Payments

Top of page

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance has been replaced by PIP (see below) for adults. Children are still claim DLA. It  is a tax-free benefit for children who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they have a physical or learning disability.

Website: Living Allowance

To make a claim call: 0800 1214600

Claim online:

Top of page

Employment and Support Allowance

New style Employment and Support Allowance is a benefit for people under state pension age who cannot work because of illness or disability.

But Universal Credit is now more relevant

Website: and Support Allowance

To make a claim call: 0800 3285644

Claim online:

Top of page

Help with NHS costs

If you’re incurring costs due to medical treatment you may be eligible for financial support or reimbursement.  Please visit the NHS page below for more information. NHS prescriptions, NHS dental treatment, sight tests, vouchers for glasses and contact lenses, NHS wigs and fabric supports are available for people on a low income.

Website: Care Costs

Help with Travel to Hospital

Means tested benefit for those in receipt of a low income, income support and certain tax credits


Top of page

Housing Benefit

Housing benefit has been replaced by Universal Credit

Website: Benefit

To make a claim call: 0800 055 6688

Top of page

Pension Information and Pension Credits

Information on your state pension, pension credits and benefits you may be eligible for whilst claiming your pension.


For the Pension Service call: 0800 7317898

Pension Credit is a means tested benefit for people of pension age.

To apply for Pension Credit call: 0800 99 1234

Top of page

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Has replaced DLA. Tax free benefits for adults who need help with personal care or have difficulties walking because they have a physical, learning disability or mental health issues. Not dependent of NI contributions.

Helpline: 08001214433

To make a claim: 0800 9172222


Tax Credits

Tax credits have been replaced by Universal Credit

Website: Credits

Top of page

The Department of Work and Pensions

If you have a general enquiry about benefits, if you would like to make a complaint or if you need to appeal a decision made about your benefits you can find details of how to do so on the DWP website below. If you need to make a complaint or appeal a decision, then please contact DIAL as we can help you consider how best to do so.


Top of page

Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK produce high quality information, products and services developed by and for disabled people

Telephone: 0330 995 0404


Top of page

Family Fund

The Family Fund helps families with severely disabled or seriously ill children and young people aged 17 and under to have choices and the opportunity to enjoy ordinary life. They can provide financial grants for things that make life easier and more enjoyable for the disabled child, young person and their family, such as washing machines, driving lessons, computers and holidays.

Telephone: 01904 550055



Top of page

Turn 2 Us

Turn 2 Us are a charitable service which helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other help.


Top of page

Worcester Citizens Advice  and WHABAC

Worcester Citizens Advice Bureau and Worcester Housing and Benefits Advice Centre (WHABAC) offer a range of services and provide information and advice on debt, benefits, housing, family, employment, Public Law and many other general areas of advice.

The Hopmarket,
The Foregate,

Telephone: 0844 4111303


Top of page

Worcester CASH

Worcester CASH is a local charity that aims to support those struggling with the stressful effect of debt and the difficulties faced by those struggling to survive on a low income.

Two Pennies Money Advice (Worcester CASH)

Telephone: 01905 27001


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs. It is paid monthly.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

It replaces:

Child Tax Credits, Housing Benefits, Income Support, Income based Jobseekers Allowance,

Income Related ESA and Working Tax Credits

You need to apply for Universal Credit online

Help to Claim: You can get help from Citizens Advice who can support you in the early stage of a UC claim. This is a free, independent, confidential and impartial service.

Telephone Helpline: 0800 3285644


Worcester Food Bank

Helping local people in crisis

Food Banks are also in Malvern, Evesham, Droitwich and other parts of Worcestershire

Telephone: 01905 780400 (Worcester)


Funeral Payment

You may be entitled to a funeral payment if you or your partner accept responsibility for the cost of a funeral and you are in receipt of certain qualifying benefits.


National Debt Line

Help for anyone in debt or concerned they may fall into debt or you can contact your local CAB.

Telephone: 0808 8084000

Top of page